Thursday, October 14, 2010

Daemon Hall [book review]


Daemon Hall
Author: Andrew Nance


Synopsis: Is winning a writing contest worth risking your life?
Nothing exciting ever happens in the town of Maplewood--that is until famous thriller writer Ian Tremblin holds a short-story writing contest with a prize that seems to be the opportunity of a lifetime: five finalists will get to spend an evening with Tremblin himself in the haunted mansion Daemon Hall, and the winner of the best short story will see publication.
Wade Reilly and the other finalists could never have imagined what they find lurking in the shadows of this demonic mansion. During a suspenseful night of tale-telling, strange incidents mix the realms of the real and the supernatural. What is Tremblin really up to, and can he be trusted? What about Daemon Hall--is it alive? And, more to the point, will any of the contestants make it out of this hall of horrors to tell their story? In the tradition of Stephen King, this chilling novel will have teen readers on edge in anticipation of what's to come with the next extinguished candle. (via Goodreads)


Rating: ★★★

Daemon Hall wasn't as scary as I expected. It was the first horror story I've read, so I guess I was expecting to be a little more frightened. It was creepy though, don't get me wrong. I really liked the fact that there were short stories within the book. I will say though that I did get scared/ freaked out while reading one of those stories. It was about spiders (ick!) and I'm aracne phobic. Plus it was in the middle of the night while I was reading so I was terrified of going to sleep because I didn't want to dream of those eight-legged-freaks! I didn't want to give it a two star rating because I did like the story and I would recommend it. I just expected to be a bit more scared. Oh and there is a sequel to this book and I do plan to read it soon!


sealed with love,
xoxo
B

No comments:

Post a Comment